Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Looking Forward To Meeting All Of You!

My name is Julie and I am the Associate Program Director at Qwanoes. I have been involved at Qwanoes for much of my life!

I first came to Qwanoes with my family around the age of 3 and then was a camper each summer from the age of 8 through high school. God really worked in my life through Qwanoes. I was a Christian before I started coming to camp, but camp greatly encouraged me to give God 100% of my life. At camp, I met others my age who were also following God, as well as staff who took an interest in me and were great role models. I really gained a vision for my life and hope for the future through my time at camp.

As a kid that loved God, camp and sports, it was always my dream to someday help out at camp. My first experience on staff was at the age of 16 when I worked on maintenance and did some counseling. After finishing high school, I did one year at Briercrest and then went to university at UBC and U.Vic. During those years, I served at Qwanoes as often as I could in a variety of roles.

My first full summer on staff was as the Assistant Waterfront Director when I was 20. I then served several summers as the Waterfront Director while completing university. During that time, I got married to my wonderful husband Scott who is now the Executive Director at Qwanoes. We just celebrated our wedding anniversary yesterday!

After finishing my degree at U.Vic., I started in the role of overseeing the recreational activity program at Qwanoes. I did this full-time for several years before having our first child and I've been doing it part-time since then - along with helping with staff training and development, risk management, and more. Scott and I have three kids, Jared (just turned 13!), Devin (age 11), and Kara (age 9.5).

It is a real joy and privilege to be serving God at Qwanoes! God is at work through Christian camping ministry in powerful ways, in a society that has turned so far away from him and that does not protect or value children in many ways. There is nothing I would rather be doing!

I'm really excited that each and every one of you is coming to Qwanoes to take part in the Kaleo program this fall. I look forward to getting to know you and see you grow as leaders with a solid spiritual foundation in the months ahead!

Julie Bayley
Associate Program Director, Camp Qwanoes

No comments: